US Navy Chief: Aircraft Carrier Could Pass Through Taiwan Strait

The U.S. Navy has not ruled out sending an aircraft carrier through the Taiwan Strait, despite military technology advances by China that pose a greater threat to U.S. warships than ever before, the chief of U.S. naval operations said Friday.

Washington sent ships through the strategic waterway three times last year as it makes more frequent transits of the strait that separates Taiwan from the Chinese mainland, but it has not dispatched a carrier in more than 10 years.

During that time, China has modernized its forces with missiles designed to strike enemy ships.

“We don’t really see any kind of limitation on whatever type of ship could pass through those waters,” Admiral John Richardson told reporters in the Japanese capital, when asked if more advanced Chinese weapons posed too big a risk. “We see the Taiwan Strait as another (stretch of) international waters, so that’s why we do the transits.”

Chinese intentions

Aircraft carriers, typically equipped with about 80 aircraft and crews of about 5,000, are key to the U.S. military’s ability to project power globally.

On Tuesday, a U.S. official told Reuters the United States was closely watching Chinese intentions toward Taiwan as advances in military technology give Beijing’s forces greater capability to occupy an island it considers a breakaway province.

In a report, the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency called Taiwan the “primary driver” for China’s military modernization.

Richardson, who visited China before traveling to Japan, said he told his Chinese counterparts the United States was opposed to any unilateral action by Beijing or Taipei.

Unplanned encounters

He also urged China to stick to international rules during unplanned naval encounters at sea.

That request came after a Chinese destroyer approached the USS Decatur in October and forced it to change course as it challenged Chinese territorial claims in the contested South China Sea with a freedom of navigation operation (FONOP).

“We have made this very clear that this was an excursion, a departure from the normal adherence to those rules and we would hope that behavior in the future would be much more consistent,” Richardson said. “We should not see each other as a threatening presence in these waters.”

The U.S. Navy continues to pass through waters in the South China Sea that Beijing considers its territory.

On Jan 7, a U.S. guided-missile destroyer sailed within 12 miles of a Chinese-occupied island, prompting Beijing’s rebuke that it had “gravely infringed upon China’s sovereignty.”

China, which claims almost all of the strategic waterway, says its intentions are peaceful. Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam have competing claims.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

США: Палата представників ухвалила символічну резолюцію проти зняття санкцій із компаній Дерипаски

Палата представників Конгресу США ухвалила резолюцію зупинити зняття санкцій із компаній, пов’язаних із олігархом із Росії Олегом Дерипаскою, хоча ця резолюція є суто символічною: Сенат, інша палата Конгресу, напередодні вже провалив свою резолюцію аналогічного змісту.

Палата представників, у якій нині переважають демократи, проголосувала за своє рішення 17 січня 362 голосами проти 53.

«Ми маємо справу з ворогом. Ми ведемо розслідування», – заявила перед голосуванням голова комітету палати з фінансових питань Максін Вотерз.

Резолюцію підтримали не тільки демократи, а й багато республіканців, які не згодні з політикою президента-республіканця Дональда Трампа щодо Росії.

«Я не згоден із президентом. Санкції мають залишитися», – написав у твітері голова комітету палати з питань розвідки, республіканець Кріс Стюарт, повідомивши, що голосував за відновлення санкцій.

США ще у квітні 2018 року наклали санкції на низку компаній, пов’язаних із російським олігархом Олегом Дерипаскою, зокрема на його головні активи: компанію «Русал», найбільшого в Росії і другого у світі виробника алюмінію, її батьківську компанію En+ Group, а також компанію «ЄвроСибЕнерго», – відповідно до закону «Про протидію ворогам Америки за допомогою санкцій». Тоді ж Міністерство фінансів США повідомило, що може зняти ці санкції з компаній Дерипаски, якщо він відмовиться від свого контролю над ними (при цьому санкції проти Дерипаски особисто залишаються чинними). Олігарх відразу пристав на цю пропозицію і відтак позбувся своїх контрольних пакетів акцій у цих компаніях. Тим часом ці санкції негативно вплинули на світові ринки алюмінію, на яких «Русал» є одним із провідних гравців.

У грудні 2018 року Міністерство фінансів США повідомило, що протягом місяця зніме санкції з цих компаній. Міністр фінансів Стівен Мнучин, пояснюючи це рішення в Конгресі, запевнив законодавців, що адміністрація президента США Дональда Трампа буде й далі уважно стежити за цими компаніями.

Демократи виступають проти скасування цих санкцій. Але 16 січня резолюція проти скасування санкцій з компаній російського мільярдера Олега Дерипаски не пройшла процедурне голосування в Сенаті: за подальший розгляд документа виступили 57 сенаторів, проти були 42. Щоб почати дискусію, необхідно було принаймні 60 голосів.

Олег Дерипаска, як вважають, має тісні контакти з Кремлем. Він також був колишнім діловим партнером колишнього керівника виборчої кампанії Дональда Трампа Пола Манафорта, який нині перебуває під судом у справах навколо втручання Росії у президентські вибори у США 2016 року.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Президент США скасував візити делегацій до Давоса й Афганістану через «шатдаун»

Президент США Дональд Трамп скасував низку візитів офіційних делегацій через зупинку роботи значної частини уряду за відсутності затвердженого фінансування.

Зокрема, ввечері 18 січня в Білому домі повідомили, що президент скасував поїздку делегації США на щорічні збори Всесвітнього економічного форуму наприкінці січня, які традиційно відбуваються у швейцарському Давосі.

Крім того, президент-республіканець раніше того ж дня відмовився надати військовий літак для поїздки делегації Конгресу до американських військ в Афганістані, яку мала очолити його політична суперниця, спікер Палати представників, демократ Ненсі Пелосі, таким чином зірвавши цей візит. За його словами, то була б «піар-акція», і цю «екскурсію» треба перенести на час, коли зупинка роботи уряду закінчиться.

Цей стан часткової зупинки уряду через відсутність затвердженого фінансування наразі найдовший в історії США: він триває вже 27-й день, із 22 грудня 2018 року. Конгрес відмовляється пристати на вимогу Трампа і надати кошти на бажане для нього будівництво стіни на кордоні з Мексикою в сумі понад 5 мільярдів доларів. Трамп, зі свого боку, відмовляється підписувати будь-який бюджетний документ, що не передбачатиме цих коштів.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Biggest Great White Shark on Record Thrills Divers off Hawaii

The biggest great white shark on record is visiting the American island state of Hawaii, divers say.

A group of divers monitoring the carcass of a sperm whale off the coast of Oahu say they have gone swimming with the massive predator, and that based on the size and the markings, the shark is known as “Deep Blue,” one of the largest great whites on record.

“She was just this big, beautiful gentle giant wanting to use our boat as a scratching post,” diver Ocean Ramsey told The Honolulu Star-Advertiser.

Deep Blue is believed to be 6 meters long and at least 50 years old. The Smithsonian says the average female great white shark measures just less than 5 meters, while males measure just less than 4 meters.

Diver Mark Mohler said in a post on Instagram that he and fellow diver Kimberley Jeffries had confirmed the identity of the shark as Deep Blue. [[ https://www.instagram.com/markshark808/?utm_source=ig_embed ]]

The Instagram post shows a diver swimming alongside Deep Blue.

Ramsey told the newspaper that the shark was “shockingly wide” and could be pregnant. She said hunger and the need for added nutrients might have brought Deep Blue to Hawaii, where the waters are usually too warm for great whites.

“Big pregnant females are actually the safest ones to be with — the biggest, oldest ones — because they’ve seen it all, including us,” Ramsey said.

Ramsey studies sharks, advocates for their conservation and leads cage-free shark diving tours. Ramsey and her team observe and identify sharks, and share that data with state and federal partners.

The Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources warned people to stay away from the area where the carcass and Deep Blue have been seen.

“We don’t want anyone to get hurt if a shark swimming around the carcass mistakes them as food. Understandably, some people want to get into the water either out of fascination or to get photographs, but it is truly dangerous to be around this carcass with so much shark activity,” agency official Jason Redull said.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Storm Batters California for 3 Days, Causes 6 Deaths

The storm that pummeled much of California for three days began moving east Thursday after causing at least six deaths, forcing wildfire victims threatened by floods to flee their homes and plunging nearly 300,000 utility customers into darkness.

The winter storm is forecast to bring heavy rain, snow and high winds to Colorado and “will be slamming the East Coast by Sunday,” National Weather Service forecaster Steve Anderson said. “From Maine to Florida.”

Anderson said most of California should be dry and sunny by Friday.

Three days of rain dent drought

The three-day drenching put a dent in California’s drought. Government and university researchers who maintain the U.S. Drought Monitor map now classify most of the state as abnormally dry or in moderate drought. Only about 6 percent is in severe or extreme drought, compared to nearly a quarter of the state last September.

Rain and snow fell from one end of the state to the other, canceling flights, uprooting trees, knocking down power lines and causing localized flooding.

In Malibu, a 57-year-old woman was in critical condition after authorities say a boulder struck her while she was hiking Thursday.

In Orange County, firefighters rescued 12 homeless people stranded on an island in the Santa Ana River bottom, while 25 other transients were evacuated from the riverbanks.

Falling trees deadly

In San Francisco, fallen trees blocked the city’s iconic cable car tracks for hours Thursday and similarly delayed other commuter trains in region.

A 200-year-old oak tree towering 100 feet (30 meters) over James Holmes’ suburban San Francisco home toppled over in the wind Wednesday night.

“My family lived under it in our house for 70 years,” he said.

In the Marin County community of Mill Valley, just north of San Francisco, a man was killed when he jumped into the street to dodge a falling tree Wednesday night and was struck by a van, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Earlier Wednesday, a branch from a falling tree killed a 42-year-old homeless man in Oakland. The man may have been “just trying to stay dry” under the tree, CHP officer Herman Baza said.

CHP reported that four people were killed in separate Northern California crashes caused by rain-slickened roads this week, including a 1-year-old who was among three people in a vehicle who died Tuesday from a crash in the Sierra Nevada foothill town of Placerville.

Evacuations after wildfires

Southern California authorities concerned with rising streams and excessive runoff ordered evacuations in parts of Malibu and other areas scarred by wildfires. Malibu schools canceled classes. Santa Anita racetrack canceled its slate of horse races Thursday.

In the Southern California hillside community of Oak Park, where residents used pumps and sandbags to hold off rushing storm water, longtime resident Diane Starzak said her neighborhood “kind of dodged the bullet” as the storms began to taper off.

“We actually had our suitcases in the car and were ready to leave,” said Starzak, who is volunteer coordinator for Oak Park’s community’s emergency response team.

Instead the family used pumps to divert water cascading down a hillside behind their home. 

“We are really, really happy, really excited,” she said.

Authorities warned of possible floods and debris flows in the wildfire-ravished city of Paradise and the surrounding region denuded of protective trees and vegetation.

Snow in the high Sierras

Meanwhile, blizzard conditions blanketed the higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada and the region’s ski resorts with as much as 4 feet (1.2 meters) of snow just in time for the three-day Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend.

So much snow accumulated on the tail of an executive jet parked at the Tahoe Truckee Airport that it caused the plane’s nose to tilt skyward in a stationary wheelie.

Pacific Gas & Electric said 280,000 customers lost power at some point since Wednesday. PG&E spokeswoman Mayra Tostado said 26,432 customers remained without power Thursday afternoon.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Екс-адвокат Трампа визнав, що платив за фальсифікацію опитувань на його користь

Колишній адвокат президента США Майкл Коен визнав, що платив за фальсифікацію онлайн-опитувань на користь Дональда Трампа в 2014 і 2015 роках.

Коен написав про це в Twitter у відповідь на публікацію The Wall Street Journal, яка повідомила, що адвокат заплатив щонайменше 12 тисяч доларів програмістові за фальсифікацію онлайн-опитувань.

Газета пише про два опитування. Перше – про бізнес-лідерів – проводилося в 2014 році. Друге – про кандидатів у президенти від Республіканської партії – в 2015-му. В обох випадках Трамп не став лідером громадської думки.

Видання уточнює, що Коен спочатку обіцяв заплатити програмісту 50 тисяч доларів.

Коментуючи повідомлення The Wall Street Journal, колишній адвокат президента написав у Twitter, що діяв за вказівкою Трампа і висловив жаль через свою відданість людині, яка, за його словами, не заслуговувала довіри.

Дональд Трамп інформацію The Wall Street Journal поки що не коментував.

У грудні 2018 року колишнього адвоката президента США Дональда Трампа засудили до трьох років в’язниці. Майкла Коена визнали винним в ухиленні від сплати податків, порушенні закону про фінансування виборчої кампанії і наданні неправдивої інформації Конгресу.

За версією слідства, Коен брав участь у таємній передачі 130 тисяч доларів двом жінкам, які взяли гроші в обмін на мовчання про ймовірні любовні зв’язки з Трампом. По-друге, за даними слідства, він збрехав Конгресу про будівельні плани президента США в Москві.

Коен визнав себе винним у тому, що здійснював фінансові злочини в інтересах Дональда Трампа, щоб забезпечити його перемогу на президентських виборах, включаючи ухилення від сплати податків і надання неправдивої інформації фінансовим структурам. Також Коен визнав у суді, що брехав під присягою Конгресу про угоди Трампа в Росії.

Трамп раніше неодноразово називав Коена людиною, яка не заслуговує на довіру.

 

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Франція: в університеті Ліона – вибух і пожежа

Пожежа спалахнула у будівлі бібліотеки університету Ліона (Франція). Reuters повідомляє про щонайменше одного постраждалого. За даними інформагентства, поліція заявила про вибух газового балона на даху будівлі.

У соцмережах поширюють відео інциденту.

В університеті, тим часом, повідомили, що причиною інциденту стали будівельні роботи на території кампусу. За даними вишу, людей, що перебували навколо, евакуювали, зараз вогонь вдалося локалізувати.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Chinese Trade Negotiator to Visit US in Late January

China’s economic czar, Vice Premier Liu He, will travel to the United States later this month for the second round of negotiations aimed at resolving the ongoing trade war between the global economic giants.

Commerce Ministry spokesman Gao Feng told reporters in Beijing Thursday that Liu will visit Washington on January 30-31. He was invited by U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer.

U.S. negotiators were optimistic after the first round of talks in Beijing last week that the two sides would be able to resolve tariff disputes that have upset global markets.

The trade talks are the result of an agreement last month between President Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping to stop the tit-for-tat tariff conflict between the two countries for 90 days starting on New Year’s Day.

The United States has long complained about access to the vast Chinese market and Beijing’s demands U.S. companies reveal their technology advances.

If no deal is reached by March 2, U.S. tariffs on $200 billion Chinese goods will rise from 10 percent to 25 percent.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

У Польщі суд визнав неконституційними поправки про «українських націоналістів» в законі про ІНП

Конституційний суд Польщі визнав неконституційними поправки до закону про Інститут національної пам’яті із визначеннями «українські націоналісти» та «Східна Малопольща».

Відповідні положення минулого року опротестував президент Польщі Анджей Дуда. Він вважає, що визначення «українські націоналісти» та «Східна Малопольща» є неточними, що перешкоджає точному визнанню забороненого діяння і, таким чином, це порушує конституційний принцип точності права, повідомляє «Польське радіо».

Президент України Петро Порошенко привітав рішення польського КС та подякував Дуді.

Читайте також: «Закон буде змінений» – Лукаш Адамський про польський «антибандерівський» закон

26 січня Сейм Польщі, нижня палата парламенту, вніс зміни до закону про Інститут національної пам’яті, який забороняє пропаганду тоталітарних ідеологій і визначає злочинною участь «бандерівських націоналістів» у знищенні єврейського населення та геноциду громадян міжвоєнної Польщі на території Волині та «Східної Малопольщі», тобто Галичини. Згідно зі змінами, порушників оновленого закону каратимуть грошовими штрафами або ув’язненням до трьох років.

Окрім того, закон передбачав тюремне ув’язнення на термін до трьох років за звинувачення поляків за поширення ідей про вину польського народу або держави в Голокості. Однак наприкінці червня цю норму із документу прибрали.

Читайте також: Ізраїль звинувачує Польщу в прагненні змусити свідків Голокосту мовчати

МЗС України у своїй заяві засудило рішення Сейму Польщі про заборону пропаганди «бандерівських націоналістів», назвавши це «черговою спробою нав’язати однобічне трактування історичних подій».

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Analysis: US, Britain Mired In Political Crises With No End in Sight

The United States and Britain are mired in political crises with no end in sight. U.S. freshmen representatives urged the Senate on Wednesday to schedule a vote on the longest ever U.S. government shutdown and British Prime Minister Theresa May barely survived a second no-confidence vote in just over a month, after her Brexit deal suffered a crushing defeat in Parliament. VOA’s Zlatica Hoke looks into the government gridlocks plaguing two allied nations across the Atlantic.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.